Monday, April 17, 2006

Business As Usual - Buenos Aires

Safely made it back to Buenos Aires.

Despite only having an hour or so to make the connection from the non-existent bus station in Rio Grande to the tiny Airport.

My luck was in however and I made it, then to San Telmo where despite a bit of messing around, I managed to book into a pretty decent Hostel.

Pretty much just slept last night as Ushuaia and the trip up had kinda taken it out of me.

All being well, I´m meeting Tiago and Joao (see: Are you Experienced?) and we´ll be heading to La Bombonera to see Boca Juniors take on some no hopers.

Then it´ll be early to bed as it´s Caracas via Santiago early tomorrow.

The guide book makes Caracas sound like Iraq for a Gringo but sure we´ll see.

I may not stay there long at all and may instead try and make it to Ciudad Bolivar and down south to Angel Falls depending on what tour operators offer at the Airport.

My time in Argentina, close on a month, is almost at an end. I had the most fun outside of Buenos Aires and with the locals.

Some of the cliches are true. Maté is imbibed with frightening regularity, probably challenging the frequency of the Irish cup of tea, street dogs are ever present, nobody can drive but on the other hand it´s a really safe country.

The only thing that has happened at all was having a 5x5 inch paving slab thrown at me from a bus in Rosario following the local derby (Newell´s Old Boys vs Central), I´m not complaining, he missed and I think he could have hit me if he wanted to. He was just being an ass in front of his mates, they get a little crazy after the football and the same thing and much worse happens in Ireland and the UK.

I´m definitely coming back to Argentina at some stage to do the apparently very pretty North and West of the country. Salta, Cordoba, Mendoza and Bariloche but you need probably two months to do this country properly in one trip and I just don´t have that kind of time.

At this point, I´m kinda tired I think... Not homesick as such but I´m getting to the point where I wouldn´t mind bedding down for 2-3 weeks somewhere and that ain´t going to happen in the next month and a half.

Lying in bed the other night, instead of counting sheep, I started counting Hostels and different places I´ve stayed in the last two and a half months, close on to 25 places now, which averages out as nowhere for longer than 3 days or rather nights.

Sydney was where I stayed the longest for one stretch, followed by Wellington (though that was two seperate stints) but alot of places have been for 1-2 nights and that takes it´s toll.

Down in Ushuaia and indeed even in Argentina, the kids on Round the World trips are much less frequently encountered, Santiago is obviously a more hardcore stop as they were all there, and people are more interested consequently in Argentina in my trip than they have been at any other point.

"It´s alot of travelling", they say.

And so it is.

So it is.

UPDATED: Boca Juniors 1 - Arsenal 0 (No, not that Arsenal)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home