Monday, March 06, 2006

Old McDonald's Farm

Seriously.

After the ferry the day after the night before from Wellington to Picton and the pint spillage incident on my lap at 9am, we hopped aboad our new bus and set off.

Me and James, the driver, go back a long way now. Auckland in fact, and with the time pressure I'm under, we're probably going to being heading direct to Wellington Psychiatric Unit at the end of the next two weeks.

He's a cool driver tho' and from what most of the Stray passengers say, is at least in the top two drivers for general looking out for passengers and being easy to deal with.

So onwards to Marahau. We did some wine tasting (our second wine tasting of this trip) in Hunter's Vineyard en route to our new destination. The trick to wine tasting is not to scoff the lot obviously and actually ask what is being served. Then they think you are interested and give you more.

As part of my friend for a day programme, I met up with the first Icelandic person I think I've ever met. Ingunn. She's a hardy girl having started out from Tibet and pretty much having done all of Asia.

We spent the day together and headed down to Abel Tasman National Park, to sit on a bridge at dusk. The stillness of this region is insane. The South Island is all about space.

A freezing night was however ahead. The further South we go the colder things get obviously.

But I was tenting on the farm.

It had to be done, it saved five bucks.

Freezing night over and severe cramp in right leg endured, I walked into the park and strolled to Coquille Bay before the majority of walkers had set foot on the trail. It was quiet as all hell. But seriously spectacular.

Walking back on the trail I met up with Ingunn again. She's staying for horse trekking and we probably won't catch up with each other again.

But man, if you make these decisions I should have stopped for a few days in Taupo, and only a few hours ago I should really have stopped in Wellington.

This is a crazy life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home