Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Cicadas & The Carling Cup Final

Ok.

So we were staying in Raglan up at the Kaori lodge and I realised that the Cup Final was going to be on in the morning.

Sky Sports 2, 4am, Manchester Utd Vs Wigan Athletic.

Sweet as Bro'

So we had some fun on the flying fox in the dark. Basically a big zip line that goes downhill for about 50 metres. In the dark and with a few drinks it becomes an experience.

Then we saw some glow worms hiding out in the bushes, the whole area is famous for them as the Waitomo caves are close by to Raglan.

So the party was just getting started really but I wanted to be up for the match and the bus in the morning (believe me, Team Canada were not pretty in the morning) so me and Juha, my Finnish mate, had a couple of beers and chatted with the hostel workers out on the porch.

Up at 4am.

Kitchen empty.

Cool. Flicked on the TV, got the match, cracked a beer. Rooney scored after half an hour.

There's a big fly.

Right. He's a little too big and is making big noise whacking off the fluorescents, I can't knock them off because then he just goes for the TV.

Bang. Dead.

Half time.

There's another bugger. These guys are real big.

Hold on, there's more.

5, 10, 20, 50, 100. Hell, the kitchen is covered. The noise is deafening, these buggers live in the trees and make this buzzing that turns into a mighty roar in the am.

The porch is absolutely infested. It's plague of the cicadas! I checked out the small communal kitchen and it was the same story there. I dropped the rubbish and retired to the sanctuary of bed.

Close the door, hop in.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Strong language was used.

A friggin' cicada in the bed sure enough. I hopped out and flicked on the torch. Ian, the Englishman in the other lower bunk woke up and observed the scene. That's a big ass bug dude. It is sure enough.

Right. I usually use the Rough Guide to Venezuela in situations like this but I only have my Latin American Spanish book handy so it'll have to do.

The bugger wouldn't move so I had to nail him on the sheet.

The cleaner who opened that sheet was in for a nasty surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home