Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Great Barrier

"Oh shit!"

Those were the words that Steve Irwin lookalike, a kiwi called Ian, who was supervising the back of the boat, greeted the news that my weight belt was slipping as we spoke, slowly down my legs en route to the bottom of the ocean floor.

Submerged in the Pacific ocean, I had left the sanctuary of the boat and was now dicing with reef shark and jellyfish and 20 kgs of pack and compressed air on my back.

I made my way to the back of the boat and hauled myself out. Belt readjusted we plunged yet again, to join the other three divers and "Ryo", our instructor.

Snorkellers everywhere and jellyfish!

Form that seal over the breathing apparataus!

Can't do it!

Saltwater coming on board at a rapid rate and increasingly rushed breathing.

At this rate, it was better to let the group go because I was clearly holding the show up.

Forming that seal over the mask is really tough and when you are just taking onboard water with each breath at a depth of a couple of feet, the same situation at 6-7 metres is clearly not going to be tenable.

All in all, my scuba diving experience lasted about ten minutes at pretty unimpressive depth.

No excuses but this was a sink or swim one day experience, a four day course for someone who hasn't been in the ocean for the best part of ten years is probably the way to go.

But I came to the reef and I got wet and I'm glad I took the plunge.

I settled for some snorkelling and the glass bottomed boat after the initial effects of the exciting debacle had worn off.

I spent the three hour trip back to the mainland, the reef is about thirty nautical miles from Cairns, in the company of Mick and Tracy, genuine Australians from Melbourne and chatted sport and life.

Good times, good people.

But all so very temporary. So very temporary.

You've traded companionship for freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home